Sunday, November 9, 2014

Post #10

Blog Post 10

Over the last ten weeks of this class, I have not only learned a lot about the concept of education, but also about myself. When I first started class, I was very unsure about my major. I had always had the idea of education in the back of my head, but I never really put serious thought into it. But between visiting schools in class, my own observations, our readings and discussions, and more I have found out that I am 99% sure that I want to continue on studying education. If I had not taken this class, I would probably still be in the dark, in regards to my major and what I wanted to do with my life. Something else I learned from being in this class is what it's like to not be a student in the classroom. Gaining the new perspective of a teacher was something that was good to do early on, so I can decide what good qualities to have are. Being a good teacher is something very difficult, but it is worth it when you watch your students succeed and thrive. To be a good teacher, the main aspect, in my opinion, is to be engaged with your classroom. You need to make it a community where everyone feels safe and comfortable to talk, take risks, and really just make the most of their education. We talked a lot about the classroom and what a good one looks like, reading essays, watching the video about Summerhill, observing physical classrooms on our visits. We talked controversial issues such as standardized testing, LGBTQ issues dealing with education, and more. This class really helped shape my ideas on these topics and opened my eyes to all of the different aspects of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment