Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Post #1

WebPost1: CLASS SURVEY
Personal information
  1. What name do you prefer to be called? Corey
  2. Hometown and photograph of you (inserted in your blog so I can connect you with your name). Brunswick, OH 
  3. Grade level and subject(s) that you want to teach. Currently undecided about my major, but thinking about Education. If I was to become a teacher, I would either want to teach little kids, such as kindergartners, or high school students, possibly in theology.
  4. What are you into; what makes you special? Share a few “unique” aspects about yourself that would help our classroom community get to know you a bit better. Some interesting facts about me are that I am one of six children, I am really strong in my Catholic faith, my favorite band is Mumford and Sons, I had lived in Texas for a month, my favorite kind of ice cream is chocolate, and I love doing volunteer and mission work!
Learning Style and more:
  1. Being as specific as you can, what must be in place for you to feel comfortable taking intellectual and creative risks in a classroom? For me to feel comfortable, I would like to have the teacher be open to working with me if I am unsure about something we are doing. Also, I would like to know that my classmates are open to anyone's ideas and thoughts, and that we won't judge each other.
  2. I am interested in your perception of yourself as a student. Please describe it. Consider such criteria as a) active oral class participation; b) responsible, timely class preparation (of readings, projects, etc.); c) honest, candid self-assessment; d) awareness of your own preferred learning styles/approaches; e) first thing that you do when you cannot or do not understand something; f)other dimensions you believe to be relevant and informative. In class, I am generally more quiet and reserved, but I am taking everything it in. If I feel like I have something really important to add though, I will speak up. I would say that I am a responsible student and I will do everything in my power to complete my assignments, readings, etc. If I don't do something, I will own up to it and take responsibility. I know about my own learning style, but I'm open to try new ways that we experiment with in class. When I am unsure about something we do in class, I will usually do anything to figure it out on my own. If and when that doesn't work, I will go to my classmates and professor to ask for clarification. 
Education Past and Present
7. Share a formative memory from your experiences as a student. My most important memories that have shaped me into the student I am today were all formed in my high school Latin classes. The strong bond I formed with the teacher helped make the class itself easier, seeing that I could go to her and be comfortable asking her about something I didn't understand. She helped to push me, even when I was so close to giving up, in school and in life itself. She was my mentor all throughout high school and helped lead me on the career path I am on now.
8. Please discuss what are, for you, some significant issues or concerns facing the field of education right now. Some issues I see in the field of education are the unfair treatment of teachers, how students are becoming more and more unwilling to learn, the impact standardized tests are having of students' anxiety levels, and how education in general seems like it has a mold that everything should fall under, even though every case should be different.
About Dr. Shutkin:

9. Write down a question or two that you would like to ask me about myself or the class. What made you want to go into the field of education? What are some problems in education that you see in our country today?


(This is a picture of me and some children I met while in the Dominican Republic on a mission trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment